Friday, July 11, 2008

"Smoke gets in your eyes"*

Yes it is a song title but here in California it is also a fact of life. Our firefighters are doing a valiant job and have reduce the number of fires from over 1400 to just under 300. I am having a hard time and I am not even close to the fires, I can't imagine what it is like on the fire lines. I wish them the best and continued safety.

As a result of the air quality, the July 9th meeting was cancelled. Many folks were having issues breathing and felt ill. I was use to the haze in the sky, it has become a common sight, but on that day the haze was at ground level and it felt like walking through caramel. Nano Soto sent a wonderful link to information on dealing with smoke. Thanks Nano!

I hope that the winds change and we receive a reprieve from the smoke and the haze.
I will see you all on the 16th.

Have a great weekend


*"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is a show tune written by American composer Jerome Kern and lyricist Otto Harbach for their 1933 operetta Roberta.

2 comments:

静若止水 said...

I felt sorry that some of you might not have received the phone call or email notification on time regarding the meeting cancellation last Wednesday. Stephanie and I did the best we could to reach out to everybody, but unfortunately we still missed a couple.

Since I joined Toastmaters,this was the first time we made a decision without going through the entire club, executive meeting discussion or approval. I want to hear your honest opinion about what you think we should have done to handle the situation.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted o update that we are meeting weekly again. We only missed one week due to smoke. Hope to see everyone back and for guests, just come and visit. It's a blast.